31 Oct. 2010

Home Made Aussie Fare... Damper Cheese and Vegemite Scrolls

How unusual!  My boys proclaimed that they were starving, on the way home from church this morning, and proceeded to ask for a variety of takeaway or shop bought wares.  I said that I wasn't buying anything for lunch, that we had plenty of food at home.
Then Rob declared that he really felt like some nice warm Cheesy-Mite Scrolls (from Baker's Delight).
No was the answer, but I said we can make our own.
So that is what we did.
Rob was chief cook, and I was the instructor, but really we all had a little hand in lunch production.
I found a scone and a damper recipe.  Rob chose the damper recipe.
Rob added "rubbing in butter" to his slowly growing culinary skills.  He did the main work, I just kneaded the dough, Sean grated the cheese, and Zac brushed the tops of the oven ready scrolls.

Here is the Damper recipe we used:

3cups of Self Raising Flour
90grams butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water

Sift flour and salt, rub in butter until resembles fine breadcrumbs, make a well in centre, pour in water/milk mix, mix with a knife until forms a ball.  Lay on lightly floured surface and knead gently.  Form into a round on lined tray and score round into 4-8 segments.  Bake in hot oven 10mins, until brown on top, turn down oven to moderate temperature and cook further 15 mins, until cooked through.

This is what we did:
1 cup Wholegrain Pl Flour, 2 Cups White Pl Flour
6 tsp baking powder (according to directions on packet)
1 1/2 tsp salt (will reduce in next cooking as these were salty)
90grams butter
200g container of natural yoghurt, in a jug and topped up to just over 1 cup measure with water, and mixed well together.
We mixed this all together as above instructions.  Then flattened it out in a rectangle, spread with a little margarine, plenty of Vegemite and topped with about 2/3 cup of grated cheddar cheese.
Then we rolled it all up carefully into a log and carefully cut scrolls out of it.
Laying each piece on the tray, we brushed with a little milk/water mix that was left in the jug.
Into the oven on High for ten minutes, then dropped the temperature down for another 8 minutes.

 Then Yum-yum, straight out of the oven, onto plates, and into our bellies!
The boys thought they were great, and are taking the left overs to school for lunch tomorrow.

Here is the budding Chef:

Come Visit Courtney and her great 

No comments:

Post a Comment