26 Oct. 2010

Aim Higher

Deuteronomy 6:5-9 (New King James Version)

5 You shall love the LORD your God
with all your heart,
with all your soul,
and with all your strength.
6 “And these words which I command you today
 shall be in your heart.
7 You shall teach them diligently to your children,
and shall talk of them when you sit in your house,
when you walk by the way,
when you lie down,
and when you rise up.
8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand,
and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house
 and on your gates.

I read this again, as I was reading this blog:
 Cultivated Lives
It hit home.
As did a conversation with a friend over coffee this morning.

I need to "be" with my boys, not just in their vicinity, I need to engage them, actively participate in their lives, not just do all the official mother things.


Something as simple as sitting at the table with them at meal times, talking with them, instead of yelling at them from a distance to "stop mucking around and eat your tea!".  I sat with them tonight, easily the first night in over a week.


Something as simple as watching them play their new made-up game "go-cricket" (it looks like a cross between baseball and cricket) out in the back yard, like I did tonight, and showing them how to hit a good baseball shot with a cricket bat, and then get badly run-out just in time for tea.


Dont get me wrong, I have been participating in their lives, just not as much as I could, and not in areas that I should.


So I am expecting some changes around here, starting with me.


I need to relearn how to do some things I unlearnt over my years of depression, where it was easier to do the minimum and then go hide in my cave.


I love my boys, and I love my Lord, and I want us to function better as a family, and I want to include God in our familylife more, instead of leaving him on the doorstep waiting.


Please pray that this wont be just another passing phase, but rather a lifelong commitment to becoming a better mother, and godly mentor. Any positive advice or encouragement is most welcome


Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment