29 Nov. 2007

Changes all around

My Sister is finally getting married
My Dad has a new girlfriend
My ex husband is engaged to his girlfriend
My Mum is moving interstate to be with her man
And I have a fresh slate, a new beginning.

Point of view:

I am learning continually that attitude is a choice. Or rather God is reminding me constantly of the fact that I can choose to view things positively or negatively.

It is easy to look at things at face value and with a worldly attitude, to see with a negative eye.

It takes practice and a keen eye to find the positives in a typically negative situation.

My life has been one long good excuse to be grumpy! God however has gifted me with optimism. I have always tried to see a smile and a positive in life around me.

That is until recently. I have struggled for a number of years now since the failing of my marrige, to see the positives. Depression has often tried to claim me for its own. Often it has succeeded.

I am beginning to think tho that in reality, I have a choice to believe the constant negatives of depression (and cuddle up to it for comfort), or I can praise God for His gift optimism and find the things to smile about and get on with living.

I certainly dont propose that it is easy, rather I think that it is a daily and moment by moment decision to choose either the comfort and sympathy of depression or the life and victory and joy of the attitude of Christ.

I think that maybe depression is just a nasty habit for me that I need to stand against every moment until it's hold on me has been broken.

Today is a new day.

Life is a reason to be happy!

2 comments:

  1. Sooo good to hear the smile in your writing! Just last week I posted on a verse I studied that day - 'Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.' (James 1:2-4). I am such an infant when it comes to that, even though I am a glass-half-full kinda girl. God has really been teaching me lately that for things to be joyful doesn't necessarily mean they're 'nice' or 'fun', but that if we look at the harder things in life with rejoicing that we are being strengthened by our God's plan for us, then we mature in our faith and can reflect on those times and the prosperity that comes from them during the next test (and there is *so* much bad grammar in that sentence I'm ashamed of myself!!!)
    It is hard to stand strong in our conviction that God has it all in hand when it seems everyone around us has the 'good' stuff happening. But we have the ultimate in the 'good stuff' - we are saved through faith, by the grace of the sacrifice of His son for us, and that is so much bigger than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, I found you thanks to Ali. I can't believe how many bloggers there are in Mt Gambier. :) I missed you at my kitchen tea but I'm sure I'll see a bit of you after I move down! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete