28 Aug. 2006

Our legacy? ... a CWO quote

"I thought about the whole notion of "reproduction," and what it really means to replicate yourself. Is it merely about the passing on of eyes and chins and hair color? Or is it, rather, the replication of the heart? Do we leave a bigger mark by passing on our genes, or our thoughts?"
~ Shannon Woodward, author of
Inconceivable: Finding Peace
in the Midst of Infertility
~

How much discussion goes around the maternity ward of what bodily atribute of a newborn takes after what relative... It is quite comical really, yes even I have partaken in this comedic tradition of sorts. It is natural though for a parent to want a part of them to be seen in their child.... for their child to take after them. As a child myself, although I dont mind looking like either of my parents, there is definately a physical atribute of theirs I would have prefered not to have inherited... like the lack of hair; and I wouldnt have minded a couple of atributes that I missed out on... :) But seriously it doesnt really matter.

My physical inheritance hasnt shaped me near so much as the inheritance of their ideas/thoughts/veiws, etc. More often than not children aspire to be "just like" (or almost like :0) their parents. They want to inherit their parents character/personality, this especially in young children.

I remember a funny - of how I wanted to be just like Dad when I had to vote in my first election. I was sure that dad backed a particular politcal party, and made a point of voting the way I thought he would. Later that evening when the tallying was being broadcast dad made a certain very negative comment about the political party that I had voted for... realising that I had not voted at all "the right way" I felt quite "Oohh!" - disappointed about it. :0) silly, eh!

Opinions matter, our thoughts matter. We are all different in them, but no person is less of a person for having an opinion, no matter how they differ from our own.

One personal atribute that I want to be able to replicate in my kids, is a desire to see the best in everyone. To want to find at least one good thing about each person I meet. Another is to always to have a positive outlook on life, no matter how tough it gets.

But there are also plenty of personal aspects of mine that I would be soooo happy if they never inherited!

I think though the Biggest and Best legacy we can leave / pass-on to our children and the generations to follow, is our Faith in Jesus! My 2 Grandmothers have passed their faith on to my Mum and me... If there is only one thing that I pass on to my kids, then let it be my Faith.

Praise God for Grandmothers!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Kaz...I just dropped in and took a gander at your blog...loved your insights! I'm a mom of 5 - most of mine are grown now - but still two in the house- and they ALL still need to hear those words of affirmation that you spoke of! Anyways...I'll be dropping in more often....great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I agree.... Grandmothers are the best! I miss mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree..I think we all hope that the best legacy we pass on to our children is our Faith. Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe if we are able to pass our love of the Lord along to our children....then we have done a magnificent job...for that is all they truly need....love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like passing on our Faith in Jesus, that's good. But I also really like the idea of helping them find good in each person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That darlene was me, from CWO, but my link didn't show up I see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I talked today about the people who passed their faith in Jesus onto me when I discussed this quote on my blog! Thank God for people like that! Check it out here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the legacy I want to leave too!

    ReplyDelete