19 Aug. 2006

The Bible - The Holy Living Word Of GOD

All my Christian life I have struggled to make this a daily part of my life.
The desire to read it has always been there, along with much good intentions.
Its not that I haven’t read the bible at all, its more that it has been a haphazard, irregular thing. In spits and spurts.
I’ve tried heaps to do it the right way, wake up really early, before the kids, and read it chapter by chapter or book by book… but if you ask my kids, they’ll tell you that I am definitely not a morning person.
I’ve tried to do it during the day… but little distractions are running around everywhere… ;)
I’ve tried to do it at night, but my snoring usually drowns out any attempt quite swiftly.
I even bought myself a one year bible with a daily reading plan.
I’ve had it for a year now, but still no bananas!
For ages I have been condemning myself for not being the good Christian and making God’s word a part of my everyday.
Recently tho I realised that I wasn’t getting anywhere trying to do it under my own steam. It was like I was trying to pull my self along on a lead, while at the same time struggling against it & digging in my heels …. Ridiculous!

Do not strive without a hearts desire…Doesn’t work!

I had been trying to be like “everyone else” when I am not everyone else, I am me.
One night, I’m not really sure how it happened but it was definitely God’s doing not mine, it was like a switch was flicked on…. I went to bed earlier than the norm (shock! Normal is somewhere around 11:30pm – midnight) and picked up my One year bible flicked to the days date, skipped the old testament and began to read Romans, then a psalm and a couple of proverbs, I ignored the desire to read onto the next days reading and then thanked God for His word.
The Next night it happened again, and I was amazed by some of the stuff I was learning about God and his design in us. This has continued nightly and I feel like a peace is in me now that I am not struggling with Gods word, but rather just going with the flow, and I know that every word of Gods that I read is feeding my spirit, and giving me inspiration for the next day. I am beginning to understand that the Word is indeed the Bread of Life… like petrol to my spiritual engine! I praise God that He has shown me that I can’t do anything at all without His help, I can’t even read His Word without His help!
For me, my time with God’s Word is In the words of psalm 119 verse 148 - My eyes are wide-open throughout the nighttime hours to reflect on your word.

Psalm 119 is a celebration of God’s Word. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20119;&version=31;
It speaks of seeking God through his word, delighting in his word, finding strength in his word, hiding his word in our hearts that we may not sin, meditating on His Word, and so much more…
Here are some of the passages of psalm 119 that highlight the wonder and life giving attributes of Gods Word, and show the heart of those who seek God through it.

2 Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
32 I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
35 Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.
48 I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.
73 Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands.
81 My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word.
89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
97 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
114 You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
125 I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.
130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
142 Your righteousness is everlasting and your law is true.
147 I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.
148 My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.
159 See how I love your precepts; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your love.
160 All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.
165 Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.
172 May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.
175 Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me.


Reading It!
Picking up and reading the Bible is like a magical mystery tour with God as your Tour Guide, or in the words of Forrest Gump, like a box of chocolates, because you’ll never know what you’ll find out about God and Life, the universe and Everything!

For me though to read the bible is a voyage of discovery, a continual journey of learning about God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, and their desires for God’s people and for me. The Word, The bible is where I find encouragement in knowing that despite all my shortcomings I am loved and important to God, and SO MUCH MORE!

It doesn’t matter when or where I choose seek God in His Word
What matters is where my heart is when I Seek Him!

119:32 I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.

James 4:8 Come near to God, and he will come near to you.

Col 3:16 Let Christ's word with all its wisdom and richness live in you. Use psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to teach and instruct yourselves about God's kindness. Sing to God in your hearts.

Heb 4:12 The word of God is alive and active, sharper than any double-edged sword. It cuts all the way through, to where soul and spirit meet, to where joints and marrow come together. It judges the desires and thoughts of the heart.

Rom 10:8 What it says is this: "God's message is near you, on your lips and in your heart"---that is, the message of faith that we preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment